Fire Safety Specialist
LocationNew York, New York
Shift:Day (United States of America)
Under the direction of the Manager of Fire Safety, provides technical assistance for the implementation of the Hospital’s Fire Protection Program in areas of operations, training, maintenance, construction, engineering, inspection and procurement.
Essential Job Duties
- Plans, coordinates and conducts fire safety training including fire drills, fire safety in-services including off-site locations. Updates local and building fire safety plans as necessary.
- Responsible for oversight of various safety programs including Fire Safety, Hot Work Permits, Interim Life Safety, and Fire Watch.
- Responsible for training, evaluation, and direction of staff and vendors on all Fire Safety Programs.
- Prepares and maintains records and activities relating to fire alarm incidents, activations inspection, prevention, and elimination of fire and safety hazards. Maintains records of all fire department inspections.
- Ensures compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulations including the NYS-DOH, CMS, The Joint Commission, OSHA, FDNY and the NFPA Life Safety Code.
- Monitors construction/renovation sites to ensure compliance with the Hospital’s Interim Life Safety Measure program and policy.
- Responds to Fire Safety Alerts and fire alarm activations. Directs individuals in response, evacuation and rescue operations in cases of fire or other disasters.
- Conducts inspections and surveillance rounds for fire and life safety hazards with recommendations for corrective actions. Provides input on all matters pertaining to Life Safety.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Fire Science or related
- Fire Drill Conductor Certificate of Fitness
- Fire Safety Director Certificate of Fitness
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- one year experience in a Healthcare environment or a fire-protection-related field
- Working knowledge of Joint Commission standards, NFPA standards, NYC Fire Department Directives, NYC Fire and Building Codes and OSHA regulations
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with word processing, database management and spreadsheet development
- Strong analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of Fire Safety and Emergency Response
Join a healthcare system where employee engagement is at an all-time high. Here we foster a culture of respect, diversity, and inclusion. Enjoy comprehensive and competitive benefits that support you and your family in every aspect of life. Start your life-changing journey today.
- #1 in New York, "America's Best Hospitals 2019-2020." - U.S.News & World Report
- 2019 "Best Places to Work: Employee's Choice." - Glassdoor
- 2019 "Employees' Choice: Top CEOs" - Glassdoor
- 2019 "America's Best Employers in New York State" - Forbes
- 2019 "150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare." - Becker's Healthcare
- 2019 "Top-Rated Work Places: Best Hospitals" - Indeed
Discover why we're #1 in New York and a best employer at: nyp.org/careers
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.