Director of Child Life
LocationNew York, New York
Shift:Day (United States of America)
Discover Where Amazing Works
Director of Child Life – Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital
The Child Life Director is responsible and accountable for the administration of the Child Life Program at Morgan Stanley Children’s Hopsital. This includes supervision and management of personnel, budget control, program evaluation and development, and control of equipment and supplies. This individual must be able to articulate the elements of growth and development, family dynamics, play, development observation and assessment, the learning process, behavior management, reactions of children to hospitalization and illness and interventions to prevent emotional trauma or enhance patient compliance. The Child Life Director works collaboratively with the health care team and fosters positive hospital-community relations.
Child Life also provides targeted support to adult patients who may have children/family needs which require Child Life intervention.
The Child Life Director functions within the established philosophy and goals of the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Nursing and New York Presbyterian Hospital in planning activities that support therapeutic play, self-expression activities, education and coping strategies which help support pediatric patients and families cope with the stress of illness, injury, disability and hospitalization in both the inpatient and outpatient settings.
A Child Life Director is a unique role holding a Master’s Degree with a Certification as a Child Life Specialist by the Child Life Council (CLC) with an educational emphasis on human growth and development.
The Director also serves as a programmatic leader, collaborating with outside organizations/donors/grant programs, NYP Development, Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital Dept of Pediatrics, and the NYP Department of Nursing. Child Life Director may be involved in project management and other activities (e.g. pediatric prom, family support rounds, holiday events, fundraising events, etc.
- Certified Child Life Specialist by the Child Life Council
- Masters degree in area related to child development, psychology, or one of the expressive therapies (art, music, and drama)
- 3-5 years progressive experience with children in a hospital setting
- Managerial level or previous leadership responsibilities
- Knowledge of Growth and Development/Age specific competencies
- Knowledge of the special needs of hospitalized children
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
Join a healthcare system where employee engagement is at an all-time high. Here we foster a culture of respect, diversity, and inclusion. Enjoy comprehensive and competitive benefits that support you and your family in every aspect of life. Start your life-changing journey today.
- 2021 "Employees' Choice Awards: Best Places to Work" - Glassdoor
- 2021 " Best Workplaces in Health Care & Biopharma" - Fortune
- 2020 "America's Best Employers in New York State" - Forbes
- 2020 "Working Mother 100 Best Companies" - Working Mother
- 2020 "Best Companies for Multicultural Women" - Working Mother
- 2020 "Best Workplace for Men in Nursing" - American Association for Men in Nursing
- Discover why at: nyp.org/careers
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.
It all begins with you. Our amazing compensation packages start with competitive base pay and include recognition for your experience, education, and licensure. Then we add our amazing benefits, countless opportunities for personal and professional growth and a dynamic environment that embraces every person. Join our team and discover where amazing works.