Analyst Medical Data-Coder
LocationYorktown Heights, New York
Shift:Day (United States of America)
Analyst Medical Data-Coder
Yorktown Heights Northern Westchester County location
NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Groups (NYPMG) are part of the physician enterprise of NewYork-Presbyterian, one of the nation’s most comprehensive academic health care delivery systems affiliated with two world-renowned medical schools. Through primary care and multispecialty medical practices, the physicians and other health care professionals of NYPMG, in collaboration with ColumbiaDoctors and Weill Cornell Physicians, provide families with high quality, patient-centered care close to home in the New York metropolitan area.
Performs diagnostic and procedural coding for inpatients, ambulatory surgery and outpatients.
Essential Job Duties
- Utilizes the paper-based and online representation of the medical record, reviews, abstracts and applies appropriate diagnostic coding and APC assignment of outpatient and ambulatory surgery patient records according to coding guidelines as applicable according to patient type.
- Utilizes NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Group (NYPMG) Department/Practice computer systems to perform job function.
- Communicates with physicians as appropriate to clarify documentation as related to APC or coding assignment. Ensures complete, accurate, and timely coding and APC assignment.
- Reviews and analyzes the medical record to accurately assign the responsible Attending Physician and Clinical service in accordance with established guidelines.
- Prepares abstract information in accordance with mandated NYPMG, state, and federal registry programs.
- Corrects and resubmits data from abstracts as identified through edit reports from said registries.
- Maintains appropriate files within scope of responsibilities.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
- CCS or ART
- High School Diploma or GED.
- College level course in anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology.
- 2-3 years medical record experience essential, preferably in an acute care, computerized environment.
- 1-2 years demonstrated coding experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ICD9CM, HCPCS, and applicable DRG grouper coding schemes.
- Proficient computer skills, including experience with clinical information systems for accessing health information in an electronic environment.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to distinguish colors to identify medical record numbers.
Join a healthcare system where employee engagement is at an all-time high. Here we foster a culture respect, diversity, and inclusion. Enjoy comprehensive and competitive benefits that support you and your family in every aspect of life. Start your life-changing journey today.
- #1 in New York, "America's Best Hospitals 2019-2020." - U.S.News & World Report
- 2019 "Best Places to Work: Employee's Choice." - Glassdoor
- 2019 "Employees' Choice: Top CEOs" - Glassdoor
- 2019 "America's Best Employers in New York State" - Forbes
- 2019 "150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare." - Becker's Healthcare
- 2019 "Top-Rated Work Places: Best Hospitals" - Indeed
Discover why we're #1 in New York and a best employer at: nyp.org/careers
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.