Telephone Operator - Telecommunications - Part-Time - Varied Shifts Including Weekends & Holidays
LocationBrooklyn, New York
Shift:Rotating (United States of America)
In this role, the Telephone Operator will be responsible to answer incoming calls, transfer calls to departments. Answers in-house calls from doctors, staff personnel, as well as requests for pages. Assist patients needing directions on completing a call. Telephone Operator pages for Code 66, Neuro code, Code H, disaster/fires, stat calls and emergency calls. Informs appropriate personnel of fires, and disaster drills.
- Answers in-house calls from doctors, staff personnel, as well as requests for pages.
- Doctor and staff personnel are paged overhead.
- Inform appropriate personnel of fires, disaster drills, and other hospital functions over PA system.
- Receives disaster information, notifies proper personnel.
- Telephone Operator announces the all-clear announcement on disasters.
- Maintains on-call schedule for staff personnel.
- Maintains an alphabetical and numerical log of professional staff/departments by name and extension as well as phone numbers of hospitals within the area.
- Maintains an alphabetical and numerical log of patient’s names, room numbers and telephone extensions in order to expedite the relaying of calls.
- Maintains patient census for discharges, transfers and expiration on a daily basis at the Information desk. Removes discharged patient names, and updates patient room changes received from the Admitting department.
- Telephone Operator will retrieve, enter and access patient information from the hospital computer system at the Information desk.
- Direct visitors, vendors, doctors, outpatients, etc. to proper locations when needed.
- Telephone Operator will turn on/off patient telephone service at the Information desk.
- Employee must have strong communication skills, verbal, and writing skills. Employee must have strong memory skills.
- Employee must be flexible to work varied hours, shifts including midnight shift, must be able to work weekends and holidays.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency required.
- Must have a minimum of 1-2 years of experience working on a telephone console system.
- Must be flexible to work all shifts, holidays, weekends, sick and emergency calls.
- Must have strong communication skills and excellent customer service skills.
- Basic computer literacy is required.
- Must be able to speak clearly when utilizing hospital intercom.
- Highly flexible and able to adapt to a fast paced environment.
Join a hospital where employee engagement is at an all-time high. Enjoy competitive compensation along with benefits such as tuition reimbursement, hospital retirement contributions, and financial planning assistance. Start your life-changing journey today.
- #1 in New York, "America's Best Hospitals 2017-2018." - U.S.News & World Report
- 2019 "Best Places to Work: Employee's Choice." - Glassdoor
- 2018 "Employees' Choice: Top CEOs" - Glassdoor
- 2018 “America’s Best Employers.” - Forbes
- 2018 "150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare." - Becker's Healthcare
- 2018 "Top-Rated Work Places: Best Hospitals" - Indeed
Discover why we're #1 in New York and a best employer at: nyp.org/careers
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.