Section Chief Technologist - Hematology - Days - Includes Rotation Every Other Weekend
LocationBrooklyn, New York
Shift:Day (United States of America)
In this role, the Section Chief Technologist assists supervisor as technical resource person for technicians, technologists and support staff. Assume the role of the most technically experienced staff technologist. Works under the supervision of the section Supervisor and assumes duties of the supervisor during their absences.
- Perform Administrative duties of Supervisor in his/her absence.
- Collects and/or processes specimens for analysis according to established procedures. Delivers to laboratory sections as directed. Evaluates specimen problems and procedure for specimen rejection with no more than one error annually.
- Performs all tests within assigned section with accuracy, precision and within productivity standards according to procedure manual.
- Confirms abnormal results and institutes the follow-up procedure with no more than one error annually.
- Reports STAT and/or critical values according to procedure without exception.
- Performs and documents daily Quality Control. Recognizes problems and abnormal values and uses judgment to institute proper measures to maintain test accuracy and precision. Documents QC results and corrective action with no more than one annually.
- Performs all tests within assigned section, according to procedure manual with accuracy, precision and within productivity standards.
- Confirms abnormal results and institutes follow-up procedure with no more than one error annually.
- Performs analysis on proficiency or self/surveys within established error limits.
- Assists supervisor with Outlier Log – follow up with staff, analysis of data, reporting at QA meeting, etc.
- Assists the supervisor with the handling and reporting of proficiency testing.
- Uses computer functions, as directed, with no more than one data entry error annually. Manual results reported clearly, dated and initialed.
- Check and document daily Quality Control and Preventative Maintenance for Hematology Analyzers, Coagulation Analyzers, Manual Hematology, Coagulation test, Immunology, Chemistry Analyzers, ABG Analyzers, Ohmmeter, Urinalysis Analyzers and manual Urine tests. All other test as required.
- Review and ensure test calibrations are kept in respective Log-Books with signature.
- Assist the supervisor in documenting and verifying all New Lot # validation for all reagents used in various sections of the Laboratory.
- Assist the supervisor in documenting and verifying all Control Lot# validation for all Controls of various sections of the Laboratory.
- Assist the supervisor in placing New Lot # of Control Tests values, ranges and validation in various sections of the Laboratory. Including manual testing.
- Ensures products (reagents, controls, calibrators, etc.) are received per SOP: under appropriate shipping conditions, Receipt Date is placed on product, products are logged into appropriate inventory log and products are stored in appropriate conditions when received.
- Assists the Supervisor with performing Monthly Levy-Jennings chart review for all Controls on Chemistry analyzers with the documentation and review signature on a timely basis every month
- Keep Reagents inventory sufficient for use and order on a timely basis. Document details of Reagents inventory for use for all Lot # in the reagent inventory Log-Book.
- Assist the supervisor with validation/verification of new procedures.
- Responsible for Medical Technologist students in theory and technique as they rotate through Laboratory.
- Follow up with non-compliance of signature on daily basis.
- Submit reports to NYS ECLRS as needed.
- Serves as a liaison between the nursing/physician staff. Provides education and information and resolves any issues.
- Assist supervisor in documenting and verifying all Correlation Studies for all Core Lab analyzers with signature.
- Assist the Supervisor in performing daily audits for transfusion, blood inventory, turnaround times etc.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- B.S. Medical Technology or equivalent from an accredited school.
- Specialist in Hematology SH (ASCP) strongly preferred.
- 6 years experience in a clinical laboratory subsequent to qualifying as a medical technologist.
- NYS License as a Medical Technologist.
- ASCP certification as a Medical Technologist MT(ASCP) or Medical Laboratory Scientist MLS(ASCP) Preferred.
- Strong communication skills, organized and detail oriented
- Basic computer literacy required
Join a hospital where employee engagement is at an all-time high. Enjoy competitive compensation along with benefits such as tuition reimbursement, hospital retirement contributions, and financial planning assistance. Start your life-changing journey today.
- #1 in New York, "America's Best Hospitals 2017-2018." - U.S.News & World Report
- 2018 "Best Places to Work: Employee's Choice." - Glassdoor
- 2018 "Employees' Choice: Top CEOs" - Glassdoor
- 2018 “America’s Best Employers.” - Forbes
- 2018 "150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare." - Becker's Healthcare
- 2018 "Top-Rated Work Places: Best Hospitals" - Indeed
Discover why we're #1 in New York and a best employer at: nyp.org/careers
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.