LocationBrooklyn, New York
Shift:Day (United States of America)
Responsible for registering, scheduling and obtaining pre-certification and authorization for patients to ensure payment from a third party payer.
Essential Job Duties
- Greets and registers patients in a tactful and courteous manner. Obtains all pertinent patient demographic and insurance information and enters into appropriate computer system.
- Pre-registers patients in the hospitals on line system. Obtains hospital medical record number when necessary. Performs insurance verification checks for Medicare, Medicaid and/or Blue Cross in the hospital billing system. Performs other insurance verification functions as required.
- Schedules and maintains daily appointments schedules taking into consideration availability of resources. Sets up clinic for efficient management of appointment flow (e.g., Medical Records retrieved, chart set-ups prepared).
- Requests patient’s charts from Health Information and or physician’s files and requests various patients’ NYPH medical record prior to appointment. Reviews chart to insure necessary test results and other relevant information is recorded. Requests test results from appropriate areas as needed. Sends charts to Health Information to be refilled and sends charts back to physician’s offices to be filed after completion.
- Retrieves laboratory and radiographic data from clinic information system and laboratories.
- Interfaces with referring offices and internal departments to schedule patient exams. Makes appointments for all types of medical procedures as requested
- Requests and obtains valid physician requisitions for all exams. Assigns and update billing codes as appropriate. Processes information so as to ensure that third party bills are submitted in a timely and complete manner.
- Prepares all pertinent paperwork including authorizations, physician requisitions, diagnostics testing requisitions and transportation reimbursements. Verifies and documents third party eligibility; determines patient liability and obtains authorizations.
- Notifies patient of financial obligation for elective admissions and establishes payment arrangements according to financial policies prior to date of service.
- Counsels' patient regarding payment options, Medicaid eligibility, and determines qualifications for charity care.
- Interfaces with MEU and Social Services to determine Medicaid eligibility; informs patients of documents required initiating Medicaid applications.
- Collects co-payments and fees and issues receipts to patients, as appropriate. Prepares receipts for both hospital and professional patient payments. Maintains record of all financial transactions and reconciles daily cash collection.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned
High School diploma or GED
One year of clerical experience
Knowledge of health insurance benefits/requirements
Knowledge of Coding: ICD 9, CPT-4
Customer service experience
Join a hospital where employee engagement is at an all-time high. Enjoy competitive compensation along with benefits such as tuition reimbursement, hospital retirement contributions, and financial planning assistance. Start your life-changing journey today.
- #1 in New York, "America's Best Hospitals 2019-2020." - U.S.News & World Report
- 2019 "Best Places to Work: Employee's Choice." - Glassdoor
- 2019 "Employees' Choice: Top CEOs" - Glassdoor
- 2019 "America's Best Employers in New York State" - Forbes
- 2019 "150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare." - Becker's Healthcare
- 2018 "Top-Rated Work Places: Best Hospitals" - Indeed
Discover why we're #1 in New York and a best employer at: nyp.org/careers
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.