Patient Registrar-NYPresbyterian Medical Group-Bay Ridge-Brooklyn
LocationNew York, New York
Shift:Day (United States of America)
Patient Registrar-NYPresbytrian Medical Group-Bay Ridge.
Responsible for registering, scheduling and obtaining pre-certification and authorization for patients to ensure payment from a third party payer.
Essential Job Duties:
- Greets and registers patients in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Obtains all pertinent patient demographic and insurance information and enters into appropriate computer system.
- Pre-registers patients in the hospitals on line system.
- Obtains hospital medical record number when necessary.
- Performs insurance verification checks for Medicare, Medicaid and/or Blue Cross in the hospital billing system.
- Performs other insurance verification functions as required.
- Schedules and maintains daily appointments schedules taking into consideration availability of resources. Sets up clinic for efficient management of appointment flow (e.g., Medical Records retrieved, chart set-ups prepared).
- Requests patient’s charts from Health Information and or physician’s files and requests various patients’ NYPH medical record prior to appointment.
- Reviews chart to insure necessary test results and other relevant information is recorded
- Requests test results from appropriate areas as needed.
- Sends charts to Health Information to be refilled and sends charts back to physician’s offices to be filed after completion.
- Retrieves laboratory and radiographic data from clinic information system and laboratories.
- Interfaces with referring offices and internal departments to schedule patient exams.
- Makes appointments for all types of medical procedures as requested.
- Requests and obtains valid physician requisitions for all exams.
- Assigns and update billing codes as appropriate.
- Processes information so as to ensure that third party bills are submitted in a timely and complete manner.
- Prepares all pertinent paperwork including authorizations, physician requisitions, diagnostics testing requisitions and transportation reimbursements.
- Verifies and documents third party eligibility; determines patient liability and obtains authorizations.
- Notifies patient of financial obligation for elective admissions and establishes payment arrangements according to financial policies prior to date of service.
- Counsels' patient regarding payment options, Medicaid eligibility, and determines qualifications for charity care.
- Interfaces with MEU and Social Services to determine Medicaid eligibility; informs patients of documents required initiating Medicaid applications.
- Collects co-payments and fees and issues receipts to patients, as appropriate. Prepares receipts for both hospital and professional patient payments.
- Maintains record of all financial transactions and reconciles daily cash collection.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
High School diploma or GED equivalent
One year of clerical experience
Excellent customer service-telephone communication
Keyboard skills - Data entry skills of 4500 keystrokes- Must pass testing
Customer service experience
Knowledge of health insurance benefits/requirements
Knowledge of Coding: ICD 9, CPT-4
Join a hospital where employee engagement is at an all-time high. Enjoy competitive compensation along with benefits such as tuition reimbursement, hospital retirement contributions, and financial planning assistance. Start your life-changing journey today.
- #1 in New York, "America's Best Hospitals 2017-2018." - U.S.News & World Report
- 2018 "Best Places to Work: Employee's Choice." - Glassdoor
- 2018 "Employees' Choice: Top CEOs" - Glassdoor
- 2018 “America’s Best Employers.” - Forbes
- 2018 "150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare." - Becker's Healthcare
- 2018 "Top-Rated Work Places: Best Hospitals" - Indeed
Discover why we're #1 in New York and a best employer at: nyp.org/careers
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.