Patient Registrar-NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Group-Kings County
LocationNew York, New York
Shift:Day (United States of America)
Patient Registrar-NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Group-Kings County-4th. Avenue
NewYork-Presbyterian Medical Groups (NYPMG) are part of the physician enterprise of NewYork-Presbyterian, one of the nation’s most comprehensive academic health care delivery systems affiliated with two world-renowned medical schools. Through primary care and multispecialty medical practices, the physicians and other health care professionals of NYPMG, in collaboration with ColumbiaDoctors and Weill Cornell Physicians, provide families with high quality, patient-centered care close to home in the New York metropolitan area.
As a member of our administrative team, you'll discover what sets us apart - passion for the individuals and families in our care. Explore this opportunity:
Register patients for a variety of procedures and appointments, and feel the pride of going above and beyond to help others. In this role, you'll obtain demographic details and insurance information, and ensure proper scheduling. You'll record patient history while obtaining pre-certification and authorization for patients. Most importantly, you will be the calm and reassuring presence patients need as they navigate their hospital experience.
Essential Job Duties
- Greets and registers patients in a tactful and courteous manner. Obtains all pertinent patient demographic and insurance information and enters into appropriate computer system.
- Pre-registers patients in the hospitals on line system. Obtains hospital medical record number when necessary. Performs insurance verification checks for Medicare, Medicaid and/or Blue Cross in the hospital billing system. Performs other insurance verification functions as required.
- Schedules and maintains daily appointments schedules taking into consideration availability of resources. Sets up clinic for efficient management of appointment flow (e.g., Medical Records retrieved, chart set-ups prepared).
- Requests patient’s charts from Health Information and or physician’s files and requests various patients’ NYPH medical record prior to appointment. Reviews chart to insure necessary test results and other relevant information is recorded. Requests test results from appropriate areas as needed. Sends charts to Health Information to be refilled and sends charts back to physician’s offices to be filed after completion.
- Retrieves laboratory and radiographic data from clinic information system and laboratories.
- Interfaces with referring offices and internal departments to schedule patient exams. Makes appointments for all types of medical procedures as requested.
- Requests and obtains valid physician requisitions for all exams. Assigns and update billing codes as appropriate. Processes information so as to ensure that third party bills are submitted in a timely and complete manner.
- Prepares all pertinent paperwork including authorizations, physician requisitions, diagnostics testing requisitions and transportation reimbursements. Verifies and documents third party eligibility; determines patient liability and obtains authorizations.
- Notifies patient of financial obligation for elective admissions and establishes payment arrangements according to financial policies prior to date of service.
- Counsels' patient regarding payment options, Medicaid eligibility, and determines qualifications for charity care.
- Interfaces with MEU and Social Services to determine Medicaid eligibility; informs patients of documents required initiating Medicaid applications.
- Collects co-payments and fees and issues receipts to patients, as appropriate. Prepares receipts. Maintains record of all financial transactions and reconciles daily cash collection.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
High School diploma or GED.
One year of clerical experience.
Excellent customer service/communication skills. In person and on the phone.
Knowledge of health insurance benefits/requirements.
Knowledge of Coding: ICD 9, CPT-4.
Experience working in a medical practice environment.
Join a hospital where employee engagement is at an all-time high. Enjoy competitive compensation along with benefits such as tuition reimbursement, hospital retirement contributions, and financial planning assistance. Start your life-changing journey today.
- #1 in New York, "America's Best Hospitals 2017-2018." - U.S.News & World Report
- 2019 "Best Places to Work: Employee's Choice." - Glassdoor
- 2018 "Employees' Choice: Top CEOs" - Glassdoor
- 2018 “America’s Best Employers.” - Forbes
- 2018 "150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare." - Becker's Healthcare
- 2018 "Top-Rated Work Places: Best Hospitals" - Indeed
Discover why we're #1 in New York and a best employer at: nyp.org/careers
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.