Histology Technician - Days
LocationBrooklyn, New York
Shift:Day (United States of America)
In this role, the Histology Technician performs a variety of functions regarding Histology and other Pathology section related activities as directed by the Supervisor.
- Receive, accession and preparation of all types of tissue for sectioning including, but not limited to, surgical and autopsy specimens, with no labeling errors. Should be able to embed forty (40) routine paraffin blocks & thirty (30) biopsies/hr. and cut a minimum of twenty-five to thirty (25-30) blocks/hr.
- Receive and prepare all types of body fluid for cell blocks and cytological examinations.
- Familiarity with all types of chemicals used in Histology, their use and safety precautions.
- Prepare paraffin, plastic, frozen sections according to established procedures. Should be able to cut a minimum of forty (40) blocks/hr.
- Prepare reagents, stains, dyes according to procedure and maintain adequate supply for tests performed.
- Labels reagents according to established standard. Informs Supervisor of supply shortages.
- Files and maintains paraffin blocks, slides, reports, logs, etc. according to policy.
- Prepares all routine and special stains performed in department such as H&E, PAS, AFE, and gram stain, according to procedure and the correct control section for each stain.
- Performs specialized histology procedures such as immuno-peroxidase, immuno-histochemical and immuno-fluorescence.
- Performs quality control procedures and maintains records and logs.
- Utilizes all instruments according to procedure. Will be able to trouble-shoot and/or repair instrument malfunctions and inform supervisor.
- Maintains clean/neat/safe work area. Wears protective equipment as directed by policy. Informs supervisor of safety issues/violations.
- May be required to perform any duty relating to histology, cytology or the morgue if trained.
- H.S. diploma or equivalency required
- 2 years of experience in Histology laboratory.
- ASCP Certification (HT or HTL) strongly preferred
- NYS SED licensure required as Histology Technician.
- Basic computer skills required
- Familiarity with histology procedures.
Join a hospital where employee engagement is at an all-time high. Enjoy competitive compensation along with benefits such as tuition reimbursement, hospital retirement contributions, and financial planning assistance. Start your life-changing journey today.
- #1 in New York, "America's Best Hospitals 2017-2018." - U.S.News & World Report
- 2018 "Best Places to Work: Employee's Choice." - Glassdoor
- 2018 "Employees' Choice: Top CEOs" - Glassdoor
- 2018 “America’s Best Employers.” - Forbes
- 2018 "150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare." - Becker's Healthcare
- 2018 "Top-Rated Work Places: Best Hospitals" - Indeed
Discover why we're #1 in New York and a best employer at: nyp.org/careers
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.